Data Protection Notice for the Austrian Airlines Chatbot Facebook page
This data protection notice informs you about the way your personal data is processed on the Austrian Airlines Chatbot Facebook page.
Protecting your personal data is of utmost importance to Austrian Airlines. We use your personal data in accordance with the applicable data protection law, in particular the provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU Regulation 2016/679; GDPR). This data protection statement should be read in conjunction with the Facebook data protection provisions, in particular the Data Policy. You can find further information on the purpose and scope of data processing, your rights and settings to protect your privacy in the Facebook Data Policy.
2. Responsible authority
Austrian Airlines is responsible for processing in accordance with Art. 24 GDPR. Insofar as Austrian Airlines and Facebook are joint controllers in accordance with Art. 26 (1) GDPR, the corresponding agreement shall apply.
For more information about this agreement, please see the section “Responsibility for your information used to create Page Insights”.
4. Scope and nature of data processing
Austrian Airlines processes your personal data on the Austrian Airlines Chatbot Facebook page in the following ways:
- When you interact with the Austrian Airlines Chatbot Facebook page, your public profile information (including display name)
- When you interact with the Austrian Airlines Chatbot Facebook page by
- uploading a post and entering your personal information there
- entering your personal data via the comment function
- contacting Austrian Airlines via Messenger and providing your personal data
- If you interact with the Austrian Airlines Chatbot Facebook page, Facebook Insights (statistical data on the use of the page) will process your data. For more information on the processing of Insights data when interacting with the Austrian Airlines Chatbot Facebook page please contact the Facebook Page Insights.
In order to process messages from Facebook users efficiently, these, as well as the master data of the corresponding profile, are also processed outside the Austrian Airlines Chatbot Facebook page in systems for which Austrian Airlines is responsible. The data is deleted after six months; for data on the Austrian Airlines Chatbot Facebook page, Facebook’s deletion rules apply (see chapter 6).
If you contact us by email or via Facebook Messenger, the communication is unencrypted.
5. Legal basis and purposes
5.1 Austrian Airlines
Your personal data is processed based on the following legal basis:
Art. 6 (1) b) GDPR (performance of contract, implementation of pre-contractual measures)
Austrian Airlines processes your personal data in order to fulfil contracts that you have entered into with Austrian Airlines or to carry out pre-contractual measures. You may provide Austrian Airlines with your personal data if
- you have questions about Austrian Airlines services and offers
- you want to complain about an Austrian Airlines service
- you want to receive information about your application to Austrian Airlines or your application status
Your data may be shared internally to process your request.
The amount and category of data processed depends on what you provide to Austrian Airlines. In order to process your request, it may be necessary for Austrian Airlines to request further data from you. In this event, Austrian Airlines will ask you for the additional data and information required to process your request. The following data is generally processed:
- First name
- Last name
- Title / Gender
- Personal information that you send us as part of your request / message
Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR (safeguarding legitimate interests)
Austrian Airlines also uses your personal data in order to safeguard your legitimate interests.
The purpose of this usage is as follows:
- To optimise the Facebook page in terms of its user-friendliness and attractiveness
- Other communication and interactions initiated by Facebook users
6. Data deletion and retention period
Your personal data is deleted from Austrian Airlines’s internal systems as soon as it is no longer required for the purposes stated. However, Austrian Airlines must sometimes continue to store your data until the end of the retention periods and deadlines set by the legislator, which may be derived from the Austrian Commercial Code, the Federal Fiscal Code or the Trade Commerce and Industry Regulations Act. These are generally five to seven years. Austrian Airlines may also retain your data until the statutory limitation periods have expired, if this is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims. After that, the relevant data is routinely erased.
For information about Facebook’s data deletion and storage periods, please see: Facebook Section “Data storage, deactivation and deletion of accounts”
7. Your rights
You can assert the following rights under Chapter 3 of the GDPR:
- Right of access, Art. 15 GDPR
- Right of rectification, Art. 16 GDPR
- Right of erasure (“Right to be forgotten”), Art. 17 GDPR
- Right of restriction of processing, Art. 18 GDPR
- Right of data portability, Art. 20 GDPR
- Right to object, Art. 21 GDPR
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. The competent supervisory authorities are:
For Austrian Airlines:
Austrian Data Protection Authority
Data Protection Commission
Portarlington, Co. Laois, R32 AP23
Telephone: +353 (0761) 104 800
LoCall: 1890 25 22 31
Fax: +353 57 868 4757
1 We take care of your request as soon as possible.
The data you provide will only be used to process your request. Your data will not be passed on to third parties unless Austrian is obliged to pass it on for legal reasons.
Email communication with the Lufthansa Group airlines is not encrypted. Please be aware of this especially when sending personal data, such as names, contact details or travel information and, above all, avoid entering such data in the subject line.