Travelling with your pet?
Please observe the relevant animal welfare regulations and legal requirements, the valid import and export regulations of the respective countries and make sure you have all the necessary documents with you!
We are very much concerned about your pet's safety and wellness while transported on our flights.
Please bear in mind that we can only accept healthy cats and dogs when the pet owner is booked on the same flights under the following conditions:
- weaned puppies or kittens with a minimum age of at least 12 weeks
- up to 3 puppies or kittens from the same litter, in an adequate transport container weighing max. 8kg each
- a maximum of 2 adult animals up to 14kg each, that are used to each other in an adequate transport container
Advance notification by telephone
Please let us know at the time of booking that you wish to travel with your pet. We'll check the applicable transport conditions and will make all efforts to confirm the transport of your pet as soon as possible.
Please notify us in advance on: +43 (0)5 1766 1000
Small dogs and cats in the passenger cabin
If you want to travel in the cabin with your small cat or dog, it must be placed in an adequate, leak-proof transport container. The combined weight of the animal and container must not exceed 8 kilos, with max. dimensions of 55x40x23 cm for easy stowage under the seat. Please bring your own transport container!
Larger animals in the cargo hold
Animals that cannot be transported in the passenger cabin may be accepted in the cargo hold as long as the travel conditions are fulfilled. Please inform us at the time of booking of the weight and dimensions of the appropriate, according to IATA (International Air Transport Association) standard, transport container. We will check the possibility for loading in the aircraft compartment.
Requirements for the kennel:
- the animal must be able to stand with its head extended and must have enough space to move
- feeding and watering facilities must be available
- it must be leakproof and the floor must be covered with absorbent material
- it shall be ventilated on at least 3 sides
- it has to be solid and escape-proof
Austrian Airlines reserves the right to check
- the animal´s behaviour at the time of acceptance
- that the container meets the requirements to ensure a safe transport throughout the whole journey.
The basis for the charging concept is the weight and size of the animal including the container and the respective flight routing.
3 categories are defined: "Small", "Medium" and "Large".
Animal charges (pdf)
Guide dogs and assistance dogs
Guide dogs and assistance dogs are carried free of charge at Austrian Airlines and may travel with you in the cabin as long as all safety requirements are met. Please inform us at time of booking!
For therapy purposes we accept emotional or psychiatric service dogs in the passenger cabin free of charge, if you have booked a flight to/from the USA.
Click "Disabled access to flights, before departure" for more information.
Any further questions? We'll be pleased to help:
+43 (0)5 1766 1000