Medical Clarification und Airworthiness
We ask that passengers to seek medical advice before boarding a flight recovering from
- serious illnesses/medical conditions
- hospital stays
In case of doubt, please write to the Special Cases Desk on:
Fax: +43 5 1766 51043 or
When do I require flight clearance from the medical service of Austrian Airlines?
- after serious operations
- in the first few weeks after a serious disease has appeared
- for passengers being transported on board in a lying position
- for passengers who require additional oxygen or other medical devices on board
- if passengers are travelling in order to undergo medical treatment
If you fall into one of these categories, please be sure to write to our Special Cases Desk at email@example.com or send us a fax on +43 5 1766 51043.
The information form is the basis for your flight clearance, it is to be completed by the doctor responsible for your treatment.
When do we have to refuse to transport a sick person by air?
- if it is reasonable to expect medical complications to arise for a diseased person during the flight due to their poor general state of health
- if the passenger would require medical attention, and this is not possible
- if the doctor treating the condition refuses to provide information of any kind about the disease
- if there is a possibility of infectious diseases being transmitted to other passengers
The following do not require medical clearance:
- guests with a disability that has been unchanged since birth or for an extended period of time
- guests assigned a wheelchair due to damage to the skeletal and musculoskeletal system (inflammatory or degenerative) suffered as a result of disease (e.g. MS, brittle-bone disease)
for further details, see Disabled Access to Flights
- guests with mild forms of chronic obstructive bronchitis and asthma, which do not cause seizures, and are being successfully treated with the patient's own medication and when the doctor responsible for treatment of the condition does not feel it is necessary for you to receive oxygen during the flight
- guests who have had a heart attack several weeks previously without any additional complications, provided that the cardiologist responsible for treatment of the condition has no concerns
The issuance of a FREMEC (Frequent Traveller's Medical Card) might simplify your journey if you travel a lot by air:
- All your assistance requirements are recorded on the card, which replaces the need for the completion of the mecial information form (MEDIF) which is otherwise necessary for every flight.
- Your individual care package will be aligned with the assistance requirements on the FREMEC. Therefore it is important that you contact our Special Cases Desk whenever you book a flight.
The card will be valid for at least one year - depending on your physical and medical condition.
If you wish to make use of the advantages of this FREMEC, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to valid security regulations in various countries we recommend you to take along a medical certificate for cardiac pacemakers or impanted metal parts. Inform the security staff before passing the security check.